Friday, September 9, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Reading Level: 13+
Publication Date: August 31, 2010
Format: Hardcover
Series: Paranormalcy; book 1
Pages:  335
Rating: 1 star
 
The description on the book jacket really made me excited to read this book. I'm a huge fan of paranormal and fantasy...and also a sucker for romance. So to find a book about a girl who works for the Paranormal Containment Agency and has her ex-boyfriend faerie and current love interest shape-shifter vying for her attentions, how could I not want to read this book??
 
The first couple paragraphs of the book seemed pretty interesting. Evie is working to tag a vampire and not the least bit worried that he wants to suck her blood because she can see what he really looks like. Pretty cool. But then she pulls out her pink taser with rhinestones, which she lovingly refers to as Tasey and it went downhill from there for me.
 
I definitely did not connect with Evie at all. I got a little tired hearing about Evie's favorite show. And instead of living the story through her, I felt like the story was being told to me. I would have liked to know more about her on a personal level, but I felt secluded from her...almost as if I were her mermaid friend and was only able to watch her through my aquarium.
 
And as for the romance...what romance? I was sorely disappointed that the most romance there was for Evie was basically on a second grade level. Though she supposedly had a relationship with Reth (who comes across to me as a creepy jerk, which makes me wonder what she saw in him in the first place) she acts silly around her infatuation, Lend.

The ending felt not only very anticlimactic to me, but also a little rushed. Everything was over in a matter of pages and Evie really didn't have to do to much to save the day. I might have liked the story better if the heroine had been stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment